When I go Grocery Shopping
What to bring with you:
*Mesh laundry bags– you can buy a pack of several(in a variety of sizes) for less than $20 dollars. You use these to put your greens, or any fresh produce you would normally put in a plastic bag! Example: salad, kale, herbs, potatoes, apples, nuts, etc…
*Bring Recycled boxes, crates, or tote bags to put groceries in bags at the end, if your grocery store does not offer paper bags!
Avoid liquid soap. Buy hand bar soap instead.
Lush has many products like bar shampoos and soaps.
Put everything in Jars. Or do what Plastic Continents has done in the past, reuse plastic jars!
Buy local & Handmade products who make the extra effort in being eco-friendly.
Make your own laundry detergent!
- Grate the soap using a hand grater or food processor. Plastic Continents likes Le Petit Marseillais. picture taken from blog “Beauty and the Biryani”
- Carefully mix with the washing soda and borax (use gloves or a spoon as these can by drying if used directly on skin)
- Add essential oils (for a particular scent- Plastic Continents personally doesn’t use any.)
- Store in an air-tight glass jar. (Plastic Continent reused their plastic ice cream jar for the time being).
- Use 1-2 tablespoons per load.
image taken from “Natural & Thrifty”
Make your own toothpaste!
- About 1/2 cup coconut oil.
- 2-3 Tablespoons of baking soda.
- 2 small packets of stevia powder.
- 15-20 drops of peppermint or cinnamon essential oil.
- 10 drops myrrh extract (optional)